Tuesday 6 March 2012

Day Seven

Really must get more inventive with my titles.  Any suggestions would be gratefully received. 

So, motivation, it's a fickle thing isn't it?  Two weeks ago I was actually thinking I was only a couple of weeks from completing The Start, two weeks away from editing and moving into the next exciting stage of learning just how many ways agents and publishers can say 'no thank you'. I was loving the way all the threads were interweaving themselves beautifully and the characters felt like real people.

Then everything changed.  I realised that the parallel time lines I have going on for my two main characters, which need to meet at the end, are still four months apart.  I also realised a character development I was keeping for the next book actually belongs in this book and, finally, the resolve to write at least one word a day I had been doing so well with disappeared! Result, the book is not finished and still sits at about 65,000 words and I now know it's going to take at least another 30,000 to tell the story well and I've not written a single word this week, if fact right now I'm writing this as a distraction. lol.

Now, whilst it is true that this week I have almost felt ill enough to sleep on the kitchen floor, I have still put off the writing, which is total craziness because once I actually start I LOVE writing, I get a real thrill from watching my characters develop and a buzz from getting to direct their lives - it's better than SIMS for goodness sake! So what's to be done?  Well tomorrow I'm hoping my good friend will allow this recovering plague bunny into her home to write and that should kick start me and get me back onto the one word a day thing.  If not I'll just have to get my Mum to ban me from writing - that's sure to make me do it for hours and hours on end.

No comments:

Post a Comment